Re: HOR's suck!!! and you pay for it)->Was "don't suck"

*****************
 Please add to this list if you think HOR's are good or bad.
 Thanks
 Doug.
************
I removed the US bumpers and replaced them with the Euro
bumpers. This made driving on my HOR springs better.
If you want to remove all the extra stuff from your car like
the AC you can buy time on your HOR springs. I like H&R's
They cost more but they are much better springs.

Doug
 " HOR's suck!!! " " Koni Sport Adjustables" and " H&R's" are good!
**************
eh, I like how a few people totally avoided your question by telling
you to get smaller wheels.  HAH, My friend Tim has a Mk2 with 17s and
doesnt get any rubbing.  I have a 79 with 17s and I only rub a bit.  As
far as your setup, if it rides well, the only way I can think of raising
the front is to make some sort of 10-15mm plate that goes between the
strut bearing and the car body.  If you have a front stress bar, you may
encounter problems of the nut not reading the stud, but the plate is the
only thing I can think of that would be a cheap way to go about raising
the front end.  IF you are all over the road and have lots of suspension
travel and dont like your setup, get some Koni Sport Adjustables =p

 André
 Lime Green 79 Scirocco ©
" Koni Sport Adjustables" are good!
***************
At 2:34 pm -0400 22/4/99, James G. wrote:
>I'm looking at replacing the Hor springs with Neuspeed or Spax.  The

Ack!!  No, don't buy spax either.... Spax makes good 1-year suspension
parts.  After that 1 year, they're garbage IME... the springs sagged and
the shocks died.  Spax is only an upgrade from stock, and only as a
stop-gap improvement.  :P
Riley McDowall
 "spax suck"
***************
I pretty much agree with Matthews statement.  Mine worked great for
more then a year, probably because I stored the car winters.  But they
did sure sag.  In fact, when I changed out the Boge Progas shocks and
Hor springs I discovered that the front end of my car was resting on
bump stops.  Definite sagging occured.  Handled really great too, but
was harsh over bumps.  The Koni/H&R combo I have now is much much
better, all around. But cost more then twice as much, almost three
times actually.  I guess to a large extent in this area, you get what
you pay for.

==Brett
 " HOR's suck!!! " " Koni Sport Adjustables" and " H&R's" are good!
*****************
Lets see, less then a month till a year is up. Still at the same ride
hight.

Pete

>HOR Tech springs will work fine for a few months - check back in a
year when
>your front end is sagging...

 " HOR's are not old yet!!! Hmm will they suck soon? "
*************************
Don't do the Spax!!

This has gone 'round on the list a few times, and a number of complaints
have been made about Spax, especially about the shocks, but I've heard a
few
bad things about the springs, too. I just met a guy last week who has a '98
GTI that had Spax shocks and springs. He already replaced the shocks 'cause
they were so bad (remember, the whole car is only a year old!). He wants to
replace the springs, too.

A lot of people that I've talked to (Including Mike Potter and the local
watercooled club here in Minneapolis) seem to prefer Neuspeed or H&R. There
are probably other good brands out there, but I just ordered a set of H&Rs
from the Potterman.

Anyone have experience with Eibach? A local Firestone dealer recommended
them with Koni shocks. I know that some of their racing application stuff
is
real good, but haven't heard anything from street VW people like most of
us...

Neal
 "spax suck" What about Eibach?
*********************
Adding my thoughts:  They suck for long term applications (like 2+years)

I'm looking at replacing the Hor springs with Neuspeed or Spax.  The
fronts are sagging, and getting lower.  Plus, my upper strut bearings are
shot even though they're the HD ones.
-James
 "Old HOR's suck!!! Young HOR's are OK but don't keep them.
************************
Message text written by "DaleWitt"
>I maintain that it is possible to get a bad set of springs from any
manufacturer.  They
are made in batches and problems can occur from time to time due to a
breakdown
in qualiity control, either in production or material source.  Nuespeed has
used HOR
and Eibach in the past.  My 5 year old Neuspeed sports with Bilsteins show
no wear
at all, and have taken very hard driving.  I have a 10 year old Sachs race
setup on
my 82 and it still performs excellent.  I have heard of problems with both
Sachs and
HORs.  I have seen Spax break down in one year and others last for years.
My
experience with HORs has been good.

Dale
86 2.0 16v rocco
82 2.1 16v rocco (Zender 400 w/NOS)

"All spring manufacturers can have a bad day" Some suck less"