Re: Anchoring child safety seat in rear seat of Scirocco

In Canada child seats for children over a certain weight & height (I
forget the numbers but I think the weight is about 20 pounds) are required
by law to be anchored with a tether from the rear of the seat to a fixed
point on the car - newer cars of course come with provisions for this
anchor point in the rear hat shelf or in the case of hatchbacks via the
bar that extends across the top of the back seat.

I guess I didn't make it clear in my original posting, but it is this rear
tether that I am most concerned with (although the tether IS long enough
to reach, I would rather avoid drilling a hole to mount the tether bolt in
the floor of the trunk).

It is nice to know that I'm not the only person out there trying to keep
the family in the Scirocco... :)

Drew

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:

> Well, I had good luck just strapping  a carseat in like normal... on the
> passenger's side, behind the passenger's seat. Sometimes I had to put the
> front seat forward a bit to make room for my daughter's feet, but it worked
> fine. I currently drive an '84 GTI and carry my daughter around in the back
> seat on a regular basis - I just make sure the seatbelts are darn tight.
>     -Josiah
>     '84 GTI
>     '87 QSW (much better for carrying kids in, but the rear calipers currently
> stick and I don't have the fundage to get new ones)
>     http://bork.hampshire.edu

'84 Wolfsburg Scirocco - getting closer to the road
'84 4dr GLI - getting closer to retirement (sniff)
'84 2dr GLI - waiting for _MY_ retirement
'83 4dr Jetta GL Diesel - daily smoker
'99 Jetta TDI - wife's daily driver

...and too many others to mention

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca