Re: lower stress bars

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:01:31 -0700 (PDT) Matthew Yip <mgyip@yahoo.com>
writes:

>The fact that unless the stress is exactly perpendicular to the mounting
>points, it allows the unsupported lower suspension pickup points to
flex.  The
>triangulated (4 point) version doesn't allow this to happen.  To better
>illustrate this, think about the triangulated rear stress bar that has
been
>the recent topic of discussion.  While it works without the
triangulation,
>it's effectiveness is reduced significantly.

There is probably alot of truth to what you said. I agree that the
mounting points will flex under the right conditions however, most
cornering loads will spread or constrict the mounting points (of the
lower control arms) in a way that the NS bar will control very well. I
know that when i've removed the bar from my Scirocco, I definitely feel
the difference. Much more so than the upper stress bar not being in
place. So for that reason I couldn't agree that the NS bar is worthless
or even remotely unworthy.

>The rationale for the 2 point bar being worthless is that it's cost is
roughly
>the same as the 4 point, triangulated version which is head and
shoulders
>(ugh, a cliche) above the 2 point variety.

I can see this point. I don't agree that the 2 point bar is worthless. It
performs quite well for me and many others as well. I like the
adjustability of the heim joints. Not something you can have with the
stock bar.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and