RE:transaxle-need help (long)

Here's what I'd do (keep in mind that little of this is from transmission
experience, so take it FWIW)

You wrote:
>>Only when the car is moving it would be like a clank, clank,clank.
>> Very rhythmic, and as far as variety in respect to speed: I didn't go
>> very fast seeing that I didn't know the seriousness of the situation
>> and didn't want to risk damaging the car any further.

First, jack up the car. Check that all of the suspension components are
nice and tight. especially control arm front and rear bolts, ball joint,
strut bearings, axle nut, those camber adjusting bolts, and anything
else I'm forgetting. Also grab a hold of the axles and try to jiggle
them(side to side and turning), If they move at all then they are
getting worn.  A lot of play, and they will clunk while moving.

This is just to check that the car is safe to drive. Since you are
planning on replacing the tranny anyway, you might as well confirm that
this is the problem.  If all of the other things are looking good, and
the noise is NEVER there without the car moving, then I doubt any damage
could be done testing it on the road. Except for the tranny of course,
which you are replacing, so no problem.

On the road:

Try to rule out the possibility of some other componend clunking. Get up
to speed and take it out of gear. Take a couple of turns like this.  If
the noise happens, then I'd bet on a post tranny drivetrain component.
(CV's, wheel bearings)

Tranny noises tend to be directly related to RPM's, so on an up shift,
you would expect the noise to have less frequency.

Remember, even though the car is out of gear, the tranny components are
still spinning. The transaxle driveshaft is turning anytime the engine
is on and the clutch is not pressed down.  The  (I forget what it's
called) shaft that drives the differential is turning anytime the wheels
are turning ( I think). This might help you narrow things down.

In general, take not of the conditions necessary for the noises to occur,
and then go from there.

Slink wrote:
> [...]

 So let me get this straight. You could shift into 5th but not out of
5th? Never heard of that. I know that there is a mechanism to control
tension on shifting into 5th, and it is on top of the tranny, just
behind where the clutch cable is. But that affects shifting into 5th. Oh
well, just a thought.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco