transaxle-need help

I am in the process of taking out my transaxle and putting in another. I
would like to know whether or not if the action I'm taking is the
correct one.  First, I am getting noise from the trans (like a clanking
sound) that at the beginning used to be heard only when the car was in
gear and moving (it wasn't heard when the car was moving when my foot
was on the clutch ,or when the car was stationary), but now sound can be
heard here and there. Second, there's a oil puddle (facing the front of
the engine) around the left side of the engine. What I would like to
know is there anything else that I missing that would insure that my car
would be driveable after swapping in the transaxle.

note: before I had this problem I couldn't shift out of 5th gear.

Slink
85 scirocco wolfburg ed