New Scirocco Owner ... Now Not One ...

Hello!

I began lurking on this list sometime in the middle of January of this
year beacuse I was finally the proud owner of a Scirocco!  I'd never
owned a VW before, and heck ... I'd never owned a performance vehicle
before this beauty: a silver 87 16v, with sunroof, teardrops, Ottinger
cam, lowered 1.5".  <-- (I know that they're called teardrops from
reading the list!  Ha!)  It's a sweet car is exceedingly good condition.

Anyways, on my way to work this morning I was headed toward the
Dumbarton Bridge (those of you in the Bay Area will know what I'm
talking about) I got broadsided by a Mercury something-or-other.  My car
is trashed!

We both have insurance, and it was his fault (thank god), but I'm
worried about the future of my car.  I love this car, and am dreading to
hear that they'll give me US $1000 as a settlement.

I'm posting my first post at scirocco-l because I know at least some of
you will feel my pain!

I'm a 25 year old Solaris admin living in Fremont, CA.  I know
absolutely nothing about fixing my car, and am learning about how cars
work from my girlfriend.  She is so cool!  She worked at Chief Auto
parts for some time before we met, and she was the one who put a new
battery in my old truck, and replaced the headlights for me on my
Scirocco.  Although I was the one who figured out that we needed to
remove those long black plastic things from under the headlights to get
them out! ;-)

All the best,
-Norm