Re: Fw: April 30 - Don't buy GAS - the Local Angle

My dad once worked on a scientific research project which was trying to prove
that global warming existed... over a long term basis, had nothing to do with
recent pollution. They were trying to do so by studying the migration of
animals... the idea was that if the world was getting colder, then animals
that lived in colder climates would be gradually moving south, and if the
world was getting warmer then the opposite would be happening (animals that
were suited to warmer climates would be moving gradually north). They gathered
lots of data on where fossils were found and when, etc. When all was said and
done, they found that both was happening - animals that were suited to colder
climates were gradually moving south, and animals that were suited to warmer
climates were moving north. Well, that didn't prove anything at all that
related to what the point of the study originally was. They had to show the
people that sponsored them that they had found something useful with all of
their money, so they just threw out half the data and reported the other half
- the reported that the world was getting warmer, because it fit with the head
of the study's view of the world. My dad was a bit disinclined to believe
scientific studies after that. Not saying that all studies are like this, but
just keep in mind that this was a Harvard University project and was published
in well-respected journals, etc... scary.
    So don't believe all that you read. Who knows what's true?
    -Josiah (BTW, I hate cats too... they cut down on my gas mileage and
power, and they're just a PITA. I don't really know if they fuck up the
environment or not, but until I can find somebody who can convince me that
they do, I'll continue to not have them on my cars... legally, in my state,
cars before '85 anyway)