Re: performance w/o O2 senseor?

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Shawn C Meze wrote:

> Yah dude!
> First of all, not having an O2 sensor will make the fuel system run in an
> open loop. Meaning, its full rich all of the time. Optimum is to have the
> O2 sensor in there and doing the job its designed to do.
> What? Open hole?

Yeah, for sure plug the hole. Prof. Meze is correct, in open
loop the computer has no feedback and indeed it shall run a
bit rich. But at high rpms the 16v is in its element with a
bit more gas, so I don't think Owen will lose that much on
the race track. My car w/o O2 is not spewing black smoke
or anything..So in an emergency, no O2 shouldn't kill ya.

Either way for folks like myself with a huge hole in the
flex joint, I would strongly advocate pulling the O2 UNTIL
the downpipe is fixed, as my car was running very LEAN (bad
bad bad) due to the o2 not getting good readings.
Now, if I can just finish up this school term and get some
$$$ to fix that downpipe, I will reattach the O2 for SURE!

K.