Re: 3 8V power questions...

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 00:38:41 -0800 the-mad-bastard@home.com writes:

>makes sense.  2 things tho, with what tool do i measure the lobes, and
>how do i find out what the g-grind's specs are.

Measure the bottom of the cam to the pointy end.
Then measure 90 degrees from that to get the base circle.
It should be 1.5". Then subtract the second number from the first. This
sum is the lift and it should be .423" (or 10.75mm)  for both the intake
and exhaust lobes. There's other things you can measure but if you have
these numbers, its likely to be a G-grind cam.

I said:
>> Should be the 84 and newer A1's. They made the runners a little
>> different. I think the plenum is a little larger too.

I was WRONG! I know, the world will tremble with this fact being known by
all. Get over it. I did.
It got me thinking so I busted out my trusty Greg Raven book and low and
behold, the 85 and newer intake manifolds were changed and NOT the 84's.
Forgive me?
. it seems the older manifolds don't flow quite as well. The gains were
only +2hp on a ported manifold so who knows what the gains on a stock
manifold would be, if any. The runners are larger so its must be better
for high end flow.
Per Schroders book says basically the same thing although adds that the
A2 manifold flows better, but you will need to relocate the FI system to
the passenger side if you use that manifold.

>HAH!  fuck that shit, pal.  8Vs are lame.  had one, it was fun, now i'm
>over it. :P  16V is _much_ healthier for you.  more torque, more
>hp...why would anyone waste their time doing an 8?

Hah! You know, in grade school, little boys would often hit little girls
to show their affection. I feel this is the case.
You really do love 8V cars. Accept this love in which you keep deep down
inside. don't hide from the truth and you will be a much happier person.
: )

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   8V!        82' Scirocco GTi  8V!
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and