Engine hes-hes-hes-itation part II and tach ju-ju-ju-jumping

Here is my problem, about 2 weeks ago I asked the list what would be
causing my engine to hesitate.  Basically when I floor the gas there is
no hesitation, when I let off the gas the engine begins to buck and,
well, hesitate.  I changed the air and fuel filters (I have an 8v and
the one in there was for a 16v so I put one of those in) and it did not
help the problem.  A couple of listers said it may be the fuel pump
relay.  So I got a new one, put it in last night, engine worked fine, I
was ecstatic.  Five minutes into the drive the hesitation began again.
The relay below the fuel pump relay is to the wipers and it gets very
hot even if the wipers are not in use.  Could this relay cause the one
above it to go bad?  I hope.  That would be an easy fix.

Another problem which has just cropped up and is (I hope) unrelated is
my tachometer which went from and idle of 1000 rpm to about 1700 rpm.
At times when I down shift it drops down to under 1000 and the idiot
lights begin to flash.

I am driving the Scirocco to Fla Wedensday and am not feeling very good
about it.  I even printed out all of the VW dealerships between WVa and
Miami.

===
Craig Moore
87 Scirocco 8v