Re: blackening trim on MK1

I would suggest taking the side mouldings out.  They can be taken out
and put back in without taking out the window rubber.  This way you dont
have to worry about overspray.  With the front and rear windshield
gasket, you may be able to use the crow from a hammer to slightly raise
the trim (after you sanded it) and then tape it underneath so as to not
have any tape marks visible when you push the gasket back in.  With my
vehicle, I used 320 grit to scuff up the trim, or was it 400?  Anyways,
start with 400, if you dont see any deep gouges then head onto 320.  The
sides and rear trim arent too major as far as sanding goes because they
dont get rock chips like the front does.  As for paint, I used SEM flat
black trim paint and I love it.  It smells like real paint, unlike
krylon trim paint (NO, I am not a huffer =p ).  I would look in a paint
supply store for good stuff.  OH, and as Feenix suggested, get some
wax & grease remover to wipe the trim down before painting.  HTH...