Re: Another Scirocco page!

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:39:28 EDT, Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com>
wrote:

>Very nice!!! You get 140hp with a single carb eh? Very impressive!
>How have you managed to keep it looking so good for so many years?
>IS that teh origional paint or the origional color? It almost looks like
>the Porsche blue. I love that color!

The paint is original, except for the hood - which is now the worst
looking panel on the car.  The photos don't show the door dings, ski
dings, crap falling from the garage rafters in earthquake dings, and
miscellaneous other imperfections that have accumulated in 165k miles.
A complete body workover and new paint (same color, of course) is on
the "to do" list, but not at the top.  No secrets in paint care.. lots
of garage time!  This car has always been 3rd or 4th vehicle in a
2-driver household since 1988 and accumulated only 35-40k miles since
then. The .071 5th gear (it was a 4-spd until January) and Quaife have
made it much more driveable.

I know the exact Porsche color you refer to.  My nephew recently
acquired a 96 (I think) turbo.  First reaction to seeing it is the
same with everybody who knows my car..  "It's the color of your
Scirocco!"  Unless it's family, I don't advise anyone to approach an
owner of a $100k Porsche and do this, however.  At least say something
nice about his rims first.

>Heh! Only one way to find out! Be at the staduim sunday and sign up for
>the 3rd run group and run in DSP (Even tho you are actually a Street Mod
>car. I and others wont care, run with us, you wont get protested!) with
>us.

Thanks Shawn, but the owner/driver, owner/driver's wife, left tie rod
end, and wheel/tire combo aren't quite ready for this yet.  It is on
the "to do" list, however.

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drave 1.9 8V