Exhuast manifold studs--Update--now have 1.8L head

I little while ago I posted a message dealing with two broken
exhaust studs on my 1.7L that I had.  Well since then, I removed
the head, only took about 2 1/2 hrs, and discovered that the studs
had NOT broken off, but actually unscrewed!  Needless to say I
was PISSED.  But upon further inspection I discovered that one of
my exhaust valve seats was collapsing, causing a tight valve and a
rough idle I've been trying to track down for some time now.

As it happened though, I had a 1.8 big valve head sitting out back
so I went through and lapped in the valves and surfaced the head.
Instead of welding up the oil return like many suggest, I was able to
pick up a small freeze plug of sorts, put sealer on it and put it in.
No leaks and I didn't ruin the head for later use.

Since I did all that, I decided track down a large sensor plate and
put that in and swiss cheese the air box.  So as of now my car has
the following:
Balanced and blueprinted 1.7L w/ 1.8 big valve head and matched
gaskets
Audi 5K throttle body
Larger style sensor plate (85mm is it?)

I gained a little on low end, but the big difference was top end.
Before my '81 would max out at about 100mph.  After the swap
that little 1.7L went up close to 110mph with more to go.  However,
the motor kinda acts like a 16V, not much low end, but once the
RPMs get about 3200, it roars to life.  With my autox wheels and
tires I can do a complete 1st gear burn out right on up to redline
and break them loose again in second.
                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
     "I do nothing in moderation but work."
               -Charles Dickens
   http://www.fix.net/~trzracing/web/scirocco.htm