Re: Drive Flange Oil Seal?

---"frank n. furter" <wasserbox@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My new question - Are the special tools listed to
> remove & reinstall the drive flange necessary, or is
> there some other (read - CHEAP) way to duplicate the
> effects...
>
> VW391 - flange puller
> US4450 - seal seating thingy...
> P 8:16, fig 4.19 & 4.21 R/J/S 80-84 gas

Sorta...I assume that you can get or have the 12pt 8mm triple
square required for the inner CV joint/drive flange bolts?
Anyway, the flange puller is nothing more then a U shaped
piece of steel with a hole at the bottom of the U where a
threaded rod is passed through.  A couple of bolts lock it
into position, and the rod threads into the drive flange and
the arms of the U press the flange in, unloading the 'mini-slip'
spings and allowing you to access the inner 'C' circlip.  How's
that for a run-on sentence?  And as far as the big seal (get a
new inner CV/Flange seal) I've just totally destroyed them
removing them.  Nasty business, and be careful not to gouge the
mating surface on the tranny, you don't want it leaking again.

To sum up the tools needed:

8mm triple square
flange pressing tool (included with Velocity limited slip kit!!)
inner snap ring pliers
assorted common hand tools so you can _really_ make a mess of
things...make sure you get the 5lb hand sledge.  You'll know
exactly when to use it, trust me. ;-)

> I feel like I am quoting passages from the bible...
> In the Book of Bentley, Chapter 8, verse 16, our lord
> Robert Sayeth to thee "Go Forth and seal your leaks
> young man!  The Days of driving are upon us all!"

Now, I gotta say that I find this totally friggin' hysterical! thanks!

Right now I think I'm re-enacting creationism by putting in another
motor..."For thou shalt have the power, use the 16 valves given to
you wisely my child.  Behold the Japanese imports brought unto you,
where they shall soon be rent asunder.  So endeth the lesson."

==Brett

==Brett