Re: Exhaust runs Cherry Red - non turbo

Shawn C Meze wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Apr 1999 09:56:17 -0700 T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> A Scirocco post on a Scirocco Mailing list. Hmm!

Yepper.

> >Preamble leads to this:
> >- SOmething else?
>
> Clogged cat?
>
> >- All of the above?
>
> Possible.
>
> Is the 78 FI?
> O2 sensor equipped?
> Compression tested yet?
> got a cat?
> Read the plugs yet?
>
> That ought to keep you busy for a while. get back to us.

Pulled the cat months ago and besides being a bit worn in the center
looks clear and open.

Non O2 car, has Fuel Injectors but also has points (yuck).

Haven't checked compression, don't own a gauge. ( Barley got a timing
light recently )

Plugs were gray, but the thing burned off any deposits that might have
been there before. I'll take another look and compare to the Big Red
Book.

> d check the cam timing... I've seen that make exhausts get REALLY hot, by
> allowing burning fuel to escape through open exhaust ports. Probably the
> timing belt needs replacing and it skipped a tooth.
>     -Josiah
>     http://bork.hampshire.edu

Hmmm, OK- I'll line it all up and take a look see. The valve cover _is_
a bit leaky, may have lubed up the belt a bunch.

If I can get this thing running I'll have my "newly back in town buddy"
drive it to ND's show next month.  :]

Thx All,
TBerk