RE: 16V swap questions

>>>-Choice 1: Figure out how to splice into my current system
>>>
>>>-Choice 2: Pull the whole harness from the donor 16v, not just the engine
>>>harness, and use the 16v fusebox and wiring loom.
>>>

>>>So, the open question is:  What do I do?
>

>Unfortunately, this is not the case at all.  You see, the fuse box
>plugs are 100% incompatible between the early German ceramic style
>fuse/relay box and the later model double blade style fuse block.  So
>100% of the wires from the 16v engine harness has to be spliced into
>the older style wiring plugs, which is not a pretty picture.  The
>late model fuse box is better all around, but that means much more of
>the car wiring harness has to be pulled out and replaced with parts
>from the doner 16v.  See the problem?  Nasty work no matter which
>way you go...this has been done dozens of times before, yet no one
>seems to have a good answer...very odd.  The reason I'm jumping in
>here is because I'm personally going to be quite a lot of work on Jim's
>16v convserion to make it go so I have a real interest in finding out
>which way is the best/easiest.  Thanks.
>
>==Brett
>
>I am looking at Dave Novak's '81 Scirocco tomorrow morning in Connecticut.
 If it is anywhere near the condition he described I will be doing the same
thing(16v into a SI).  I have given this swap some thought and I think that
swapping the entire 16 wiring into the SI is the way to go.  I am going to
attempt to use the SII dash also, so that played into my decision.  I
believe the only problem, if you can call it that, is going to be the tail
lights and headlight/markers.  And all I'll do here is splice in the SI's
connectors.  If I weren't going to use the dash though it would be a
tougher decision to use the entire harness(a lot of wiring under that
dash).  Good luck on that one Jim and Brett.

John Worden
Old Town, ME.
 '98  Dakota cc Sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, Intense Blue,
 '84  Scirocco (under construction) Brakes and Suspension currently
 '69  MGB Roadster(in need of restoration)