Water temp/Level Red LED

The little red LED in the water temp gauge will not stop flashing in
my 87 Scrocco GTX with 1800cc "K" injection engine. When I turn the
ignition on it flashes then  goes out for a few seconds and comes back
on flashing for the rest of the journey. Looking at the Haynes manual
wiring diagram the LED has a controller strapped across the
temperature gauge. The gauge is fed from the voltage stabiliser. The
other side of the gauge goes to the temperature sensor and the coolant
level relay and that's it, simple I think. The LED controller also has
a ground connection. So I pull the level relay, top right relay on
fuse box extension, switch on and LED keeps flashing. So I also pull
the wire from the temperature sensor and LED keeps flashing. I ground
the sensor wire, gauge goes full swing LED flashing. Open sensor wire,
gauge goes to zero and LED is still flashing. So I admit defeat and
plead for help from any one who has had this problem or knows how to
get to the LED to snip the wire! Yes, I have checked the water level.
The temperature needle runs just past the LED as it always has.
- --