Re: Thermostat (HELP LIST!)

My 87 16v was running real hot until I replaced the thermo switch for the
fan... (deja vu, I posted this last week...)

Normal driving the needle never budged off the top of the LED, but as soon
as I slowed down (i.e. no airflow under the hood), the temp guage would
quickly peg itself at the 3/4 mark... and strange shit would start to
happen (tach bouncing around, starter would die etc...)

I replaced the fan switch with a low temp one from Mark at Adirondack...
and now the needle stays pegged at the top of the LED regardless.  The fan
comes on low speed as soon as the needle is at the very top of the LED.
I'll get a little raise of the needle if I come to a stop after a long
highway stint, but only to about 2/3 needle travel; and the fan never has
to come on high-speed, which means that the water never goes above 92'C...
and this, my friends, is the perfect setup.

You don't want your engine to be too cool- I've read in countless manuals
and stuff that having too low water and oil temps is just as bad (if not
worse) for your engine than too high.  Your oil should always be over 80'C,
and the ideal water temp for maximum combustion efficiency and thermal
distribution in the cylinders is usually said to be just under 90'C.  If
this weren't the case, you'd see cars from the factory with 60'C
thermostats...

Just a thought.

Jason
87 16v