RE: 1.8JH Complete - Mad Fast

The 968 is the final evolution of what started out as the lowly 924 in the
late 70's.  It had a very good chassis, but an Audi 2.0 liter 8 engine that
gave it distincly underwelming performance.  Upgrades were 924 turbo, 944
(fender flares and a real Porsche engine (2.5L sleeveless aluminum 8valve
balance shaft 4 - half of a 928 V8--150-165hp depending on year)), 944S
(2.7L 16 valve 4, ~190hp), 944 turbo (turbo 8valve 2.5L - 217hp and lots o'
lag), 944 turbo S (stiffer susp, bigger wheels/tires, tweaked turbo 8valve
2.5L - 247hp and even more lag), 944S2 (3.0L 16v 4, 208(i think)hp and
finally decent torque), and finally the 968 which replaced the popup
headlights w/ 928 style exposed pop up ones.  To the engine was added a
special tuned resonance intake manifold and variable cam timing giving the
car 236hp and more torque than any other n/a 4 cylinder.  The suspension has
always been fabulous, and the 944/968 was perenially on 'best handling car'
lists, but as it became more and more expensive the 944/968 went up against
increasingly sophisticated competition. Its engine (BIG 4 cyl and its
resulting lack of refinement), along with the increasingly dated chassis
lowered the perceived value of the car making it more and more difficult to
command it's Porche-like price.  I've also heard that maintenance costs are
quite high - even for a Porche.  But a great sports car, and FAST.  (lighter
than your average 240hp monster).

Damien
(Does anyone think I should get a life?)