Re: Vibration at Idle - Cure?

Hehe -- deja vu (vue? veu? huh?) -- Sounds like a bad motor mount,
passenger side mount. Unfortunately, the most difficult one to replace, as
it needs to be compressed before stickin' in there.

You might want to check the health of the rear and front mounts, too, but
the passenger-side is the one that typically causes all of the vibration.

This was the case w/ my 84. It felt like a new car after the replacement,
and just like you -- I jacked the rpms up to 1200 for a while before
fixing it.

If you notice, I bet you get slightly more vibs at 2, 3 and 4K, too...

~C

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Michael Ravnitzky wrote:

|I bought that 1986 Scirocco 8v for $1175.  Today, I put in new platinum
|plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor.  The contacts on the cap
|and rotor were pretty far gone--I could have sanded them, but figured
|what the hell.  I dumped Slick 50 into the oil, injector and valve
|cleaner into the gas tank, and a tank of 92 octane.  So now it drives
|really well, except for one thing.
|
|At idle, it runs at about 1000 rpm, and has a heck of a vibration.  Very
|annoying.  When I run it up to 1200 rpm, no more, no less, the vibration
|stops and it just hums.  How tough is it to tweak it up to 1200 rpm?  Is
|that the best way to fix this problem?
|
|Mike Ravnitzky
|mikerav@ix.netcom.com
|--
|To subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to scirocco-L-request@scirocco.org,
|with your request (subscribe, unsubscribe) in the BODY of the message.

Christopher Mende           FederalExpress            Work: 719-262-1022
www.neubayern.net     Distributed Systems Support     Page: 888-786-1344
www.fedex.com              Colorado Springs           Home: 719-264-8132

- --