[tech] front suspension help

Here is the problem; (88 16v)

	There is a loose, rattling noise, coming from the front right of the car.
The 	noise goes away when accelerating or decelerating, but it very
noticable 	when coasting, especially at low speeds.  Making turns in either
direction do 	not affect it.  The noise sounds like a  pencil being rattled
around inside a 	glass bottled.

	I know that it is not the ball joint, I'm fairly certain that it is not
the cv joint.
	It may be the wheel bearing, but as I said, it is a rattling noise, not a
growling noise and making turns does not affect it.

My Question:

	With the front jacked up, there is approximately 1/8" verticle play in the
top 	of the strut (between the plastic spacer and the bearing plate that
bolts to 	the chassis).
	Is this normal?  It seems to be about the same as on the drivers side, and
	yet that side is not making any noise.  When I move the strut up and down
rapidly, the noise it makes seems similar to the one I'm trying to find.
Is 	his it?  Any pointers?

Thanks in advance

later,
Greg Faust

85 Mazda RX7
86 Jetta Deluxe 2dr
87 GLi
88 Scirocco 16v (206k miles and counting)

- --