Re: Heater core

>Us poor college students gotta stick together...
>
>After having read the Bentley, the Haynes, and talking to three
>mechanics, I decided to bring my '84 Scirocco with air conditioning and
>have the heater core replaced.
>
>After getting an estimate of approx. $300, I decided to bring it home.
>My last experience with a foreign heater core was an '83 toyota-- my
>hackles are still raised-- which lasted three days and ended up at a
>shop anyway.   Information (preferably ya-sure-that's-easy stuff) is
>appreciated, but of course be truthful.   I tried half a Minnesota
>winter w/o heat in the toyota, didn't like it.

I was switching my Jetta I over to no AC spec, and I bought the heater
core and the whole fan box and fan assembly with it for $25 out of a
Rabbit GTI. Unfortunately, the box doesn't fit correctly in my car. I
need to find (I guess) a non AC assembly out of a Jetta I or an Early
Rabbit or Cab.

Doing the heater core isn't that hard...you just have to remove (well, I
did, you may not have to) a good portion of the interior to do it.

take out the driver seat, so you have room to work, then take out the
lower dash on the Drivers side. It seems that there are differences
here... You'll either see the end of the heater core and the hoses or
they'll be covered by a little plastic cover. Either way, remove the
core from the box and swap the hoses onto the new core. The core might
be fastened in there some how, but it'll be pretty obvious when you look
at it.  Oh,  make sure you put a garbace bag on the floor of the car to
catch any drips, a coffee can might be a cood idea, too. Lots will come
out.  Also, switch your temp to Cold. That'll close the  heater off from
the rest of the system.

If you can find out if the 83-84 Rabbit HC is the same as the Scirocco,
I have 2 good ones here- make an offer...I'd like to trade for a Jetta I
non AC box, but....

                       CHRIS CHEMIDLIN

          NEW MUSIC!         http://www.spredhaus.com

          58 Type1 Ragtop, 84 Jetta GLi, 87 Foxwagen