Fuel pump question

OK...
This is the same as a Scirocco 8v before the transfer pumps ('84?), so I
thought somebody could give some insight, possibly...
I just put a new fuel pump in my '84 GTi (actually, a used one), and the
more I tighten that cap nut that holds on that banjo fitting on the
output side of the pump, the slower it runs. If I tighten it too tight,
it doesn't run at all. The problem is that I need it to be tighter than
when it runs fastest. I can get it to run and not leak, but if I loosen
it a little and let it leak, the fuel pump runs better. WTF? Does this
have something to do with the pressure valve that's there?
Interesting note: I bypassed the fuel pressure accumulator by taking a
banjo fitting off of a fuel distributor that I had sitting around and
connecting it to the fuel line that runs forwards to the front of the
car from the pressure accumulator. The reason I did this is that the
line that went from the accumulator to the forward line was broken, and
I didn't feel like paying the exorbitant dealer price for it. Roland
tells me that this will lower my gas mileage, but I don't see how it
could, some I'm going to have to learn the hard way : ) Maybe it richens
the fuel mixture a little somehow? I dunno...
Anyway, if anybody could give me any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!
    TIA,
    Josiah

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

- --