Re: Test and Tune

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:30:06 -0400 (EDT) Rich Deede----TOOL FAN
<rdeed@UDel.Edu> writes:

>>What do you launch at, RPM wise? idle? what?

>I dropped the clutch at about 2800 rpm( give or take), but I had trouble
>getting the right amount of traction off the line and came close to
>stalling it a few times because of it.

Dude, in the future, give me some indication that you are replying to
something I say so I dont have to decypher the message. Thanks.
OK, when you dump the clutch, do you give it more gas, or do you just
drop the clutch, wait for it to go, then roll in on the throttle?
It sounds like you need to launch at a higher rpm. 2900 or 3000 should
work a little better.

>I generally shifted right at redline, maybe I shouldn't have?

theres a little trick to shifting slightly lower on the RPM band as you
get higher into the gears. I think the 16V basically likes the

1st) 6680 rpms
2nd) 6620 rpms
3rd) 6430 rpms
4th) 6360 rpms

as shift points that I put in as your estimated HP and TQ figures on my
car program to get a 1/4 mile time of 16.00. This is not a definate
number to go by, but its a good basepoint. Try these next time, see what
happens.

>I basically run the car as is, what should I do to race prep it?

if your running street tires, drop the tire pressure to about 10-20psi.
This should help you launch off the line with no wheel spin.

Dont fuel up. 1/4 tank is all you need. Do bring an extra gallon or two
of fuel with you in case you do alot of runs.

Take everything out of the car that you can. Spare tire, jack, everything
that you dont need to run down the strip. (getting more into it) Remove
your AC belt and some people remove the ALT belt too. Keep in mind that
your  water pump isnt working so dont spend alot of time in the waterbox.

Speaking of waterbox, aviod it. You dont need to heat up your tires. Wait
for the other guy to do his burnout (if he does one) then start it up and
stage. After your fun, shut it down, turn the key on so your steering
wheel doesnt lock up, turn on the AC so the fan runs. Now you can
reinstall the belt so your waterpump works again. The paracitic drag off
of the belts is worth .10. Thats about the same as removing 100lbs from
the car!

Theres alot more to it but I think you got enough for now. Lemme know how
things work out.

If you say it was the last time your gonna do it, im gonna be slightly
pissed dude. :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and