Re: Some questions

>FIRST:  The Scirocco is reluctant to allow a shift into first gear.  The
>best way to shift it, said the previous owner, is to put it into second
>gear, and then encourage it into first gear.  While this may be an
>endearing idiosyncracy to some, I want to fix it.  The previous owner
>thought that it was an out of adjustment gear linkage or something.  He
>thought that it was either a 100 dollar adjustment or it could require a
>much larger repair.  Does anyone have any experience with something like
>this?

Sounds like you may just need new shifter arms( the 2 with the plastic ball
joint type ends) and bushings.  Pretty cheap and easy to do.

>THIRD:  Also, if one front spring is cracked, but it still drives okay,
>should I replace the one, should I replace the both, or should I use the
>opportunity to get lowering springs?  If I get lowering springs, do I
>need to change other parts at the same time, or can I leave everything
>else alone?

If it's cracked, I would change it.  But check it close- some cars had a
plastic covering on the springs- could just be the plastic stuff.

>FOURTH: How tough is it to install a new radio antenna?

Fairly easy.  You'll need to remove the fender well splash guard and it
would be easier with the wheel off too.  You should be able to remove the
nut on top of the base and then lower the whole thing down into the fender.
 Then pull the cable through and your set.

>FIFTH:  As time and funds permit, what should be my priorities in
>upgrading this car?  Is it worthwhile, or should I just run this one
>into the ground and save for a 16V?

It depends on wether or not you want a 16V.  If you do save for the 16V and
if not, I would start with suspension mods, followed by intake and exhaust.
This is just my opinion, but many other think this way too.

Good luck and welcome to the list

Johnİİ '98  Dak cc Sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, Intense Blue, Leer Classic tonneau,
İİİİİİİİİİİİİİ  Pioneer DEH-P85DHR, ventshades, headlight/tailight covers,
penda liner
İİİİİİİİİ '84İ Scirocco (under construction) Brakes and Suspension currently
          '69  MGB Roadster(in need of restoration)
- --