Some questions

After my beloved and well-cared for 1987 Toyota MR2 was crushed from the
rear by a Suburban last week (with me in it just sitting at a stop
light) I purchased a 1986 Scirocco 8V in decent condition for $1175, and
joined this list.  I hope you can tolerate a few questions...

FIRST:  The Scirocco is reluctant to allow a shift into first gear.  The
best way to shift it, said the previous owner, is to put it into second
gear, and then encourage it into first gear.  While this may be an
endearing idiosyncracy to some, I want to fix it.  The previous owner
thought that it was an out of adjustment gear linkage or something.  He
thought that it was either a 100 dollar adjustment or it could require a
much larger repair.  Does anyone have any experience with something like
this?

SECOND:  Also, what are the best non-exotic tires to throw onto the
front rims?

THIRD:  Also, if one front spring is cracked, but it still drives okay,
should I replace the one, should I replace the both, or should I use the
opportunity to get lowering springs?  If I get lowering springs, do I
need to change other parts at the same time, or can I leave everything
else alone?

FOURTH: How tough is it to install a new radio antenna?

FIFTH:  As time and funds permit, what should be my priorities in
upgrading this car?  Is it worthwhile, or should I just run this one
into the ground and save for a 16V?

Mike Ravnitzky
mikerav@ix.netcom.com
St. Paul, Minnesota