Re: Tickie tickie tickie

> Looking closely at the
>cam and I can see its flattened the lobe! Never had that happen before.
>Well, lucky for me ive got a ton of cams sitting here. Now, which
>one..... enie meeny miny.....
>I'll install it later, I need to rest.
>
>Thanks for the info Iain.
>

>              Shawn Meze
>86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
>The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
>best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!
>http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

Hi-
This cam-running-flat prob has apparently been around for a while now.
If you're into the aircooled cars, you've probably heard of Gene Berg
Enterprises, they build Serious engine parts for the airsucker. Gene and
Darryl Vittone (from Techtonics) used to nitpick these engines. Anyway,
recently Gene's son Gary, found out that the cams were going flat no
matter what the cam was made out of. And, to top it off, it was
completly random- some would go flat, others wouldn't. They built a run
in jig with an electric motor and it wasn't strong enough- they would go
flat in the engines still. Finally, they built most of an engine, and
they'd run it for 1 hr. at 1500rpm, then for 3 hrs. at 3000rpm.  So far,
they havn't had them go flat after that, but they are still testing.
The bad part of this whole thing is that you don't know if the cam is
bad until you do the run in thing.
I know that the airsucker is a completly different beast than the
watercooler, but I'm pretty sure that vw and the aftermarket cams are
made of the same materials- from cheap to expensive.
Now- I don't know a whole lot on the subject- but I'd call Gene Berg's
shop in So.Cal- maybe they could let you in on what material has the
least problems.

                       CHRIS CHEMIDLIN

          NEW MUSIC!         http://www.spredhaus.com

          58 Type1 Ragtop, 84 Jetta GLi, 87 Foxwagen