Re: [tech 16v] timing and compression

Ok -here's the deal.

Assuming all is well with replaceable components-
(good timing belt, (inspect this first) plugs, wires, etc
also check for oil/water in the spark plug holes).

Step one- check you ground straps one more time.

Step two look for the obvious loose wire, connection etc.
play and wriggle each one, including the computer connection,
and hall sender connection

Step Three-- remove timing cover, and on the inside of the Cam
pulley, look for the little dot on the Inside of the pulley.
Line this up with the front edge of where the valve cover
and head meet.
look down below to the crank pulley. Since the Car runs,
it will be _near_ the mark if it is off (the mark is on the plastic
timing cover-bottom portion)
if the timing is correct, go to step 3.

Step four- Check Ign timing- Bentley is good for this.

Step five- Try temporarily disconnecting you knock sensor-
It may be getting false readings.

Step six- if you have access to any VW's or something with a Hall sender,
try switching it, just to check.

Step seven- Check the injector seals- with a spray bottle,
spray a stream around each injector, where it meets the head, while
the car is running. Any change in running, they need  to be replaced.

I cant think of anything else to check, but my best guess is that it is
either a bad ground, or a slipped timing belt

HTH-

   Percy.