RE: Transmission "upgrade" (16V owners in particular)

I have spent quite a bit of time driving an A3 (94, so must be a CHE) and I
found it to be a huge improvement (in the perceived quality/feel department)
over any other VW transmission I have shifted.  I autocrossed it a lot and
even under such 'duress' it felt great.  Synchros were strong and abuse
resistant.  And this was after 120K miles of such use.  I think you will be
very happy it.