Re: Sunroof and other miscellaneous

- -----Original Message-----
From: Aaron <zpeed@earthlink.net>
To: scirocco-L@scirocco.org <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>
Date: 30 October 1998 01:24
Subject: Sunroof and other miscellaneous

>Also, the heat controls are really stiff.  It goes from far left to about
>the middle really smooth and then it gets really stiff to get it over to
>the right.  It doesn't get that cold in CA but I don't wanna break it

mine was like that too - it turned out to be the arm that the control knob
inserts into, fouling on part of the console.  Pull out the control knobs
and prise off the panel.  You should be able to see what is going on and it
is only two screws to undo the control mechanism.

>Also, the doesn't seem to be any heat coming from the side vents.  Is this
normal?

Yes, they are fresh air only.  The small vents just above them should have
hot air though, supplied from the windscreen vents.

>Last thing.  My power passenger window just stopped working for no reason.
>The drivers side works but not the passenger.  Is there a seperate fuse for
>each window?  Neither switch works, the driver's or passenger.  What to
>check first?

almost certainly a conector behind the passenger door panel, unless the
motor is blown - I have had exactly the same problem.  I don't think there
are separate fuses, I think they run thru  a single 30A feed.

>Also, my drivers side window gets stuck while going up.  It looks like the
>window isn't aligned on the track.  it gets pushed back while going up.  Is
>this common?  How hard is it to take off the door panels?

The glass sits in a channel on the lifter, with strips of rubber to hold the
glass.  I have the same problem, caused I think by a mixture of slackness in
the channel and the rubber guides catching the glass.  I would think it
should be pretty easy to fix by squeezing the lifter channel to make it
slightly narrower - I just haven't got round to it yet.  The door panels are
not difficult to remove:   remove the inner door handle ( hidden screw at
the bottom of it ),  the knob for the mirror adjuster ( it just pulls off )
and the door locking knob ( it unscrews ).
There are screws on the front & rear edges of the panel and 3 plastic clips
on the bottom. Undo these and prise the bottom of the door out of the clips.
The top of the panel has the fuzzy window strip clipped on to it and the
whole lot clips on to the top of the inner door panel - it should just lift
off once everything else has been removed.

Have fun...

Ewan.

'85 2.0 Storm
'86 1.8 GT