Re: [16v tech] tranny, rear discs and more q's

Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> ok is the tranny still usable if the front bolt hole(out of two) that
> holds the driver side mount bracket on is broken? so basically onth
> the rear bolt is securing that tranny mount bracket? I figure once
> all the rest of the mounts are in place and that one is cracked down
> tight it should still be ok for daily driving? reason is i have a
> perfectly good 16v tranny now..except for that, and if i ever goto
> sell it, I guess I wouldn't if it was very unsafe to use. Is the
> tranny housung aluminum? I guess if so i could get someone to weld it
> back on and strengthen it up (read, my next door neighbor! heh)

Yes it's aluminum, you should be able to weld it, hopefully.

> also if the crank spins freely and smoothly but my inner crank
> pully's outer lip is bent slightly i can just hammer it back and file
> it smooth right? its just slightly bent outward on the edge in one
> spot.

Don't see why not!

> any tricks to removing the rear swaybar? how to you unclasp the outer
> brackets??

I had to cut them... they're a PITA. There are two pieces to those clips- the
lower part is supposed to slide off. Heh. I tried hitting them with a punch and
a 5lb hammer for about 10 minutes before I said screw it and cut them off.
Never regretted it- I was installing a Neuspeed swaybar, which uses a
completely different mounting system at the back, so I didn't care. GL!

> ithought the whole rear disc knuckle came off?? do I have to remove
> the caliper first, then the rotor then the knuckle? I got all the
> middle bolt and bearings etc out and the e-brake line loose.

You mean the stub axle? There are four 15mm bolts behind the disc that hold it
onto the rear axle beam. You have to take off the wheel bearing nut and slide
the drum off the axle, making sure not to drop the outer wheel bearing in the
dirt (I've done this many times! Now I take it out first).

> e-brake lines, do i have to remove the whole thing, metal sheathing
> and all? if i want to use it on a current drummed car?

I think the ebrake lines are different on a drummed car than on a 16v. In fact,
I know they are.

> thanks
> the red rocco is amost ready to goto the junkyard, all thats left is
> the wiring loom and the rear axel stuff...speakign of that loom, does
> it all go back through the firewall or do i pullit out of the cockpit
> through and out into the engine bay?

Hmm... dunno much about wiring... yet.

> double thanks
> Ryan