Re: strut bearing question

> Could someone please describe for me the way to tell if my strut bearings
> are worn out. I'm hearing a clunking from the front end when pulling
> off, and I need to figure out if it is my strut bearings or my cv
> joints.
>
> TIA
>
> Jonas
> 85 Scirocco

Well, lesse now...Look at the metal plate above the rubber portion of the
bearing...notice the space between the rubber and the metal plate...can
you fit a finger in there?  If so, then they're probably bad.  Jump up and
down on the front bumper, leap high into the air on the dismount.  Didja
hear any clunking?  If so, then they're probably bad.

Have you even checked to see if any of your CV joint boots are ripped open?
Look and feel carefully (yeah, get dirty). :)

==Brett
- --