[MOVIE] RONIN

For those of you who haven't seen the movie RONIN, go and see it.. I just
got back from the theatres.&nbsp; It's basically an OK movie, but the car
chase scenes are absolutely INCREDIBLE.&nbsp; Wow... I've never seen
anything like it.&nbsp; And, for your listening pleasure, I scanned Brock
Yates' article about it in this month's Car &amp; Driver.&nbsp;
Enjoy.&nbsp; Oh, and PS, for those of you who saw the movie and are
tempted to have one of those *beautiful* Mercedes 6.9 sedans (did you
hear that exhaust note?!) I have one for sale... cheap!<br>
 And, by the way, the Citroen he refers to is an XM. Way cool scenes, you
have to see this... and the best part?&nbsp; I saw it for $3 cause the
movie's playing in the bargain theatre by me! Woohoo! :)<br>
during my generally dismal career came while writing two screenplays for
the legendary director John Frankenheimer. Neither made it to the screen,
based on weird machinations in the movie industry I won't bore you with
here. One was to be Frankenheimer's sequel to his much-celebrated 1966
movie, <i>Grand Prix</i> -- generally acknowledged to be the best
motor-racing motion picture of all time. My screenplay that never got
made was called <i>Endurance. </i>The story involved a pair of drivers: a
ballsy, Robby Gordon type suffering from night blindness and a
proto-feminist beauty, who team up with a combination Andy Evans/Ralph
Lauren-style egomaniac to win Le Mans. <i>Endurance </i>died with the
bankruptcy of Cannon Films arid the box-office tank job committed by Torn
Cruise and <i>Days of Tirooder, </i>which put a bullet in all racing
projects for five years.<br>
That said, Frankenheimer is back in action, so to speak, with a new
adventure-suspense picture called <i>Ronin, </i>starring Robert DeNiro.
Set in Paris and the south of France, it features the finest real-life
(nondigital compositing) car-chase action ever shot, surpassing the
Connection </i>(1971). Frankenheimer, with star stunt driver Jean-Claude
Lagniez, and stunt coordinator Joe Dunne choreographing the sequences in
Paris and in the old section of Nice, have produced truly unbelievable
footage. The vehicles employed&nbsp; (and wrecked) included an Audi A8, a
BMW M5, a Citroen. a Peugeot, and a 6.9 Mercedes-Benz. (I hope the latter
was not the director's own muscle-bound Lorinser-modified 6.9 that lurks
around Beverly Hills with a nitrous-oxide bottle concealed in the trunk.)
You must see this movie.<br>
Reprinted WITHOUT permission from Car &amp; Driver, 11/98 Vol. 44 No. 5
p. 21. Copyright (c) 1998&nbsp; Hachette Filipacci Magazines.</font>
<BR>
- --