Re: LCD Dash: Can It Be Done?? [LONG!]

At 06:30 PM 10/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Chill Brad, chill... I was attempting to show a different approach to the
>problem at hand -- the integration of a conventional desktop OS.
>
>The only problem I had w/ the original response was the delivery, not the
>info.

No one else seems to have a problem with my delivery. My last post was
merely matter of fact, not unchilled. If you want to see pissed, you tell
the EMPEG guys that what they are doing is no big deal, and easy to do.
Describe it and make it sound as simple as you did below. But just for you,
I will in the future add a brief bit to the end, explaining my emotional
state as I type the post. Fair enough?

>I can see how the current senders could be calibrated and connected via
>serial port to a portable PC to display data graphically. There are code
>snippits out there that can be used to grab data from the port, and would
>require someone w/ basic C/C++ graphics capabilities to create the gauges.
>This could be done w/ Radio Shack parts and a decent book from your
>favorite store.

You make it sound like childs play. To hook it up to a serial port, you
will have to have a multiple channel A-D converter for the several analog
channels, and then some sort of logic to sample these, and combine these
and the digital channels into a data stream for the PC to decode. You can
buy boards that do this, but the only decent ones I'ves seen aren't frem
Radio Shack, and will probably still require reworking or programming, or
additional signal conditioning to get them to work exactly right. And you
have to be careful with the digital inputs, most of them need to be realtime.

Brad

My emotional state: I am slightly annoyed, and feeling a bit sarcastic.
Funny how someone continually accusing you of being angry is enough to piss
you off. Dammit I feel like Doogie Howser writing this crap...

- --