Re: LCD Dash: Can It Be Done?? [LONG!]

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Brad Sheridan wrote:

|At 12:01 PM 10/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
|>
|>Perhaps this might shed a little bit of light as far as an effective
|>approach goes. Linux/LCD/Car application...but this is basically so you
|>can play mp3's in your car. Perhaps something can be gleaned from this:
|>www.empeg.com
|
|  While this is interesting, this would certainly prove my point of the
|size of this task. Unless you think what these guys did was easy, in which
|case you are quite a bit removed from reality. To get a really good looking
|result, like these guys appear to have, is a considerable effort.

Chill Brad, chill... I was attempting to show a different approach to the
problem at hand -- the integration of a conventional desktop OS.

The only problem I had w/ the original response was the delivery, not the
info.

On the other hand, what do you guys think the possibility of integrating
an old Newton/Palmpilot LCD screen into this?

I can see how the current senders could be calibrated and connected via
serial port to a portable PC to display data graphically. There are code
snippits out there that can be used to grab data from the port, and would
require someone w/ basic C/C++ graphics capabilities to create the gauges.
This could be done w/ Radio Shack parts and a decent book from your
favorite store.

The real challenge would be to somehow relocate, or have an external
screen driven which is located in the dash. (Use your external video port,
and a screen from one of many broken or outdated laptops out there)

Now just hope your "dash" doesn't crash, or spontaneously reboot. ;-)

~Christopher "Far Removed" Mende

- --