Free GTI Racecar? [non-rocco]

I realize this is non-scirocco related, but I would like to draw on your
collective experience with cars, and racing them in IT series or autocross.

Through a strange turn of events, I have been given a red 1984 GTI, and since
my run at Watkins Glen, I've been jonesing to build to dedicated race car. I
assume that you can see where this is going...

Anyway, the car is, well, a 14 year old car that lived in upstate NY.  Not
the best car preservation environment.  I would very much like to run this
car in local autocross events, and IT (C or B class depending on the rules),
but I want to be safe.  I took a bunch of pictures of the car, and the rust
damage, and I would like to submit it to the gang here for a look.  Point
your browsers at:  www.netacc.net/~brett/freegti.html.  It's a very sparse
page, but it gets the job done.

The car has no air conditioning, and no sunroof.  It is rusted very badly in
a few places that don't appear to be structural.  It is in suprisingly good
condition in places that are important.  It doesn't run right now, as several
key parts are missing (fuel pump, water pump, vacuum lines...).  Can the body
be fixed for a reasonable amount, say $500-$800?  What should a competition
cage being welded in for IT racing cost?  Exactly where can I get the rules
for the IT & autocross classes?  This is some grassroots motorsports at it's
grassyest.

Thanks for any and all info.

==Brett
- --