Re: LCD Dash: Can It Be Done?? [LONG!]

At 03:38 PM 10/20/98 +0100, you wrote:
>On Oct 20,  1:52pm, Ewan Marshall - Frans Maas Linlithgow wrote:
>Which brings us to the next problem - you are now in the realms of real-time
>systems. If you are running a conventional PC / Windoze combination to drive
>this dash, you will get latency problems (hourglass comes up as you take off
>from the lights - how fast are you going?). This is because Windoze is not a
>real-time OS. You would need Linux or something like that (if you want a PC
>platform - you could use pSOS or VxWorks if you were to use an off-the-shelf
>SBC). Unfortunately, the nice graphical interface suites are not available
for
>Linux, AFAIK.

  Linux is great(I use it at home), but it isn't inherently a RTOS. I
believe there are versions of it that are. And there are Linux GUI design
toolkits, as well as X-Windows(the original windowed GUI, before Windoze)
available,
I only mentioned the windoze one that I knew head analog type instrument
display, but was for VBasic. But you bring up a good point, Windoze is
wholly unsuited for the task, especially with an older laptop. It would be
quite annoying having to constantly reboot your dash. Linux is very stable.
And although it isn't a RTOS, it actually can multitask well, possibly well
enough to handle many functions and still have them all appear to be "real
time". It is much better at this than any Windoze, which are all big jokes
to me.

>Nope. Bargraph displays are much easier than scanned LCDs. Note also that
many
>bargraphs don't have the resolution they purport; oftem you will get multiple
>LEDs tied together to give the semblance of high resolution, but in fact
there
>are about a dozen discrete displayable values.

This is 100% correct, this is why the last time I did a dash display type
project, I didn't do a full out graphical LCD. I instead went with a serial
LCD, which isn't too much harder than a bunch of LEDS. But serial LCDs
would suit your project.

>STN displays are dogs. If you want any kind of clarity (remember this is a
>display to be glanced at), you need TFT at the very least.

Yes, even the TFT dim out significantly in bright sunlight. To get an idea
of how bright it'll be, remove the black instrument bezel, stick it to your
laptop screen(sealing the edges) and look at it in varying light
conditions. It'll get pretty dim.

>> Do any of you have any ideas on types of software control systems
>> that would benefit a Scirocco/car?Let me know!
>
>TCS and ABS.

I definitely wouldn't do either on the same computer doing the dash
display. These really are suited for embedded projects. Pick up a copy of
Circuit Cellar(electronics mag), and you can find lots of people willing to
sell generic boards for embedded design.

Brad

- --