RE: Supertrapp exaust question-Toyota and Scirocco

> ----------

Supertrapps have bothered me for a while because I could never figure them
out.  Looking at them, it seems like a terrible way to do an exhaust.  I was
at the Trans-Am race here in Mpls and I happened upon one of those racecars
built by University Engineering departments and raced against other like
cars built by other University Engineering departments.  The
designers/builders of the car were hanging around answering questions.  I
noticed that they had a supertrapp on so I asked them how could that muffler
design not suck(not literally).  He said it all had to do with turbulence
and that there is much more to exhaust design (and fluid dynamics in
general) that meets the eye.  He said that many performance mufflers
(especially glasspacks with 'dimples') create a lot of turbulence which is
very bad for flow.  The supertrapps have very carefully designed diffusers
which direct the exhaust out the plates in a way that results in very little
turbulence.  He also said that the supertrapp doesn't flow best with all the
plates and the diffusers removed because of what happens when the exhaust
abruptly exits the pipe without them.

Anyway, I have no way to know whether he was making this up or not, but he
sounded like a lot of time, effort and experimentation had gone into their
exhaust choice.  Something that didn't occur to me until much later is that
you can get supertrapps without a glasspack -- only the diffuser/plate
system.  They may have been using this model.

>  Great.  Exhaust
> "tuning" goes far beyond sticking various sized corks in the tailpipe.
> Engine displacement does not change with anything but cams, engine
> displacement basically determines how much stuff comes out of the engine,
> cam will simply allow more unburned stuff into the combustion chamber.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but I have to disagree if you are saying
that changing cams/porting-polishing doesn't change the amount/speed of the
exhaust.  These things are all to get more charge, which naturally more
comes out.