Re: Paint procedures?

VWN8@aol.com wrote:

> I'm about to give my rig a new paint job. I've never shot paint before if
> anyone has any tips PLEASE let me know.

I think you are getting in over your head. Painting a car is not as easy
as some think. I used to do autobody myself at a collision repair
center. First remove the doors, hood, hatch etc. and prep the surface of
the opposite sides, ie. the jams, and underhood. Then prime these
surfaces. Then paint. Then prep the outside of these parts, and prime.
Don't paint the outside of the doors or hood or any other part that
needs to be reattached later. Damage to the paint on these parts will
result in the fitting process. Once all parts are reasembled on the car
and lined up proper sand and prep entire car prime and prime it. Then
sand again with 400 or finer paper (even better is to wet sand) and if
necessary another coat of primer. You want to look across the finish of
the primer and see a very smooth surface. Feel across the surface with
the flat of your hand for any imperfections. Once you have that then
prep and clean surface very good and paint. I would suggest reading a
book on it too. Good luck. The laying of the paint is the hardest part.
Practice technique on a piece of metal of big piece of wood or something
preferably non-porous. It's an art not quickly learned.

Feenix...
88 16V
- --