Re: Almost a new scirocco owner

Bryan Brannigan wrote:

> I'm going to go look at an 86 Scirocco next weekend.  As far as i know it's
> a 8v automatic and in real good condition, just needs struts.  First
> question, does anyone know how much plain stock struts cost, and how long
> it should take to put in??  Second question, does anyone have an 86 and
> have you had any "bugs" with it that are going to empty my bank account.

I've got well over $2k into my '86.5 that I bought about 4 months ago.  Of
course a lot of this is little stuff that I'm being anal about.. some of
the stuff I've had done includes: a/c repair, climate controls basically
totally rebuilt (were almost completely non-functional), new H&R springs (had
some funky Mk1 springs on it for some reason), new tie rods, new control
arms (one was badly bent), new bushings everywhere in suspsension, 2 bent
alloys straightened, speedo rebuilt (cable went first, then odometer right
afterwards - this is a VERY common problem), rear trans mount replaced,
shift linkage totally rebuilt, Redline MTL into tranny, CV boot replaced,
door striker pins replaced, various electrical half-assed stuff from
previous owner redone, most of interior gutted and various buzzes and
rattles isolated and eliminated, then reinstalled with ALL proper fasteners
(many of which were gone in the first place, partially causing the noisy
interior), front rotors turned/new pads installed, driver's seat bushings
replaced... <phew!>.  And this was a car that I paid $4200 for and the
previous owner had been offered $7k for at one time recently.  Obviously,
it's VERY clean.. but as you can see, "little" mechanical gremlins can
be lurking everywhere on a car of this age.

A whole lot of this stuff wasn't necessary in the literal sense of the word,
but all of it has gone towards making it a much nicer car.  If you're not
so concerned about little stuff, you may very well be able to pick up an
'86 with lesser "real" needs.... good luck!

- --
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0