Re: 8v 2.0 L vs. 16v 2.0 L

> > would definatly stick with it.  I'm sure with the same amount of money
> put
> > into an 8v and a 16v, you would have a faster 8v, but if you have a large
> > budget, go with the 16v IMHO of course.
> >

> > Really?  You think that if you took at stock 8v and stock 16v, ands put
> > say $5000 dollars in to each,(no more, no less), that the 8v would be
> > faster?  i think i might have to disagree.
>

> Of course not, but i'm talking budget wise.  if you put say, $1000, into
> either one,  you'll get alot more for your money in an 8v, where a 16v, you
> may get a good  set of cams, and thats about it.  I can't even think of
> enough things to do to an engine for 5g's, staying normally aspirated and
> same displacement.  but i'd still stick with my 16v any day.
>

> Owen

Tell you what, I'll let you know.  My 16v rebuild/build up is going to run
me $3-$4k.  It adds up really really fast, here's a breakdown from my own
experience (most of this I've done/bought, others are in process, and some
things are going to happen over the winter):

2L 16v short block: $400
Machine shop work on same (lotsa details here): $750
Ported/rebuilt 1.8 16v head: $500
Schrick 260 cams: $650
83mm oversized pistons: $340
Engine gaskets, head gaskets, bearings, (lotsa other stuff) etc...: $350
water pump, distributor, o2 sensor, (lotsa other stuff) etc...: $350
Tons-o-other-crap (eg. cam sprocket...etc...): ~$300

This has been quite an undertaking on my part, it takes tons a time and money
to work over a 16v, but I suppose if you want the meanest, fastest normally
asperated Scirocco in the North East...your gonna hafta do a bit more then me.
:-)!

Ask me if I can afford to rebuild my tranny!  Gawd, this had better be worth
it!

==Brett

- --