Re: Tire fell off!

Speaking of the screw that holds on the rotor, when i went to put the tire
back on, the rotor was very loose and I could shake it back and forth with
my hand.  i don't know where that screw went.

Rich Deede
University Of Delaware (Communications)
1987 Scirocco 16v

"Think about how dumb the average person is, and then remember that half
the population is EVEN stupider!"....George Carlin

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, I.Mannix wrote:

> At 05:58 PM 10/16/98 -0400, Rich Deede----TOOL FAN wrote:
> >I have a question that i desperately need answered soon.  Is it possible
> >to bleed the front brakes on a 16v without taking off the tires?
>

> Sorry about the car.  It is possible to bleed brakes without removing the
> wheel.  The shop I use does not remove wheels, just has the car a few
> inches off the ground, reach around the wheel to get at the bleeder(saw
> them bleeding the brakes on a 16v GTI like this recently, as well as Audis,
> other cars....).  I don't always remove the wheel to bleed brakes, but
> sometimes, I do.  IMHO, I'd ask them(without telling them what happened) if
> they did take off the wheel to bleed the brakes, as if you say "my wheel
> fell off, did you remove it?" they'll likely say no.  Sounds to me as
> though they did & did not torque the wheel before the car left the shop.
> Surprisingly enough, a wheel falling off does not always damage a car that
> badly, beyond the potential cosmetic stuff - I've seen several wheels fall
> off(because nuts were not torqued) this season alone, all the cars finished
> the day.  OTOH, it can break rotors, break the screw that holds the rotor &
> try to twist off the caliper, it _can_ do a lot of damage, but oddly
> enough, it does not seem to.  Good luck!
>

> I.Mannix

- --