Re: Motor Mounts for 87 16V

Check them before you replace them.  I know I'm cheap but I don't see any reason that make sense to have good motor mounts replaced along with the bad ones .

Check them first and do'nt replace the ones that are still good unless you have some money burning a hole in your pocket.

Vibration problems caused by bad motor mounts can be diagnosed by placing a jack under the oil pan (put a 2x6 piece of wood between the floor jack and the oil pan so that the engine weight is evenly distributed and you don't damage the pan).  IF lifting the engine even just a little bit causes the vibration to disappear, then your problem really is the passenger side motor mount.  The driver side, rear and front mounts can be visually checked.  If they look flat or severely off center it may be time to rep
lace those as well.

When I replaced my passenger mount I didn't think I can do it either.  I took my time and I was able to do it with no real problems to speak of.  I replace the mount on my '84 Scirroco without taking the engine off.  I had to take the timing belt off and the belt covers to get access to the motor mount bracket.  Once removed, I took the bracket and the mount I bought to a shop and they pressed out the old one and put in the new one for $15.  So $15 for the mount (German part) and $15 for the shop work and
I was all set.  I didn't check on pre-pressed mounts but I suspect it's a lot more expensive than $30????
- --