Transmission help.

Hey all you tranny meisters,

I have a new problem.  I was in a rallycross yesterday and something
unpleasant went on inside my transmission.  I started out fairly gently
(loose surface--lots o'spinning, don't you know) and shifted into second and
got on it hard for about 50 yards into a tight left.  I get the car sideways
and am hard on it again (still in second) to pull out of the slide and some
where in there (hard to tell with the noise of the rally car and the flying
rocks and stuff) an ugly rattle started.  I stopped my run and inched
forward.  More big rattling.  Gave up my run, the race, and the series
championship (sounds dramatic, doesn't it?) and pushed car back to safe
area.  The noise seems to be coming from the input shaft.  We were able to
drive the car onto the trailer, but something would occasionally bind and
release (rattling all the while), feeling really painful.  Any thoughts?

the code has been beaten off the case, but the transmission should have come
out of an '86 GTI

TIA
Damien
- --