Re: Strange Starter Behavior

I had this problem many many moons ago too.  It sounds like the starter
solenoid is starting to stick.  Do you notice that the problem is more
pronounced when it's cold or when you start the car up for the first time in
the morning?  Does is seem to go away or does the starter catch "quicker" once
it's warmed up a bit?  If you said yes to both of these questions, the
solenoid is getting sticky and this condition is completely curable.  What is
happening is the lubricating grease in the solenoid sliding surfaces are
getting old.  When the temperature starts getting cooler, this old grease
doesn't want to move around much anymore.  What I did was remove the
starter(disco. the battery first!), take apart the solenoid, clean out the
barrel of the solenoid and the "shuttle", regrease the parts(I think I used
some white lithium grease)(don't use too much grease, just a light coat),
reasemble the solenoid, reinstall the starter, reconnect the wires.  That's
what I remember doing years ago and have not had any starter problems since.
I might have left out some detail in the solenoid disassembly part, but if you
go slow you can do it.  BTW, I have the same starter that I had when I bought
the car new.  I transfered the starter from the orginal 1.6L engine to the
current 1.8L I have now.  154K miles so far.

Good Luck.
- -dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/sailingfc/">http://members.aol.com/sailingfc
</A>

In a message dated 10/13/98 8:01:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rdowling@bellsouth.com writes:

> My starter has been behaving in a rather odd manner lately.
>  When I first got my Scirocco, I couldn't tell for sure, but
>  I would often find myself wondering if the starter hesitated
>  to engage after the key was turned. Now, I can turn the key and
>  hold it in the start position for up to five seconds before
>  the engine turns. The battery is fine and this has been going
>  on for months. After the wait, the starter even turns at
>  normal speed. Rather strange for a failing starter, eh?
>  Anyone else experienced this?

- --