Re: Where are all the transmission experts?

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:13:56 -0500 "Crane, Damien" <d3c@TENNANTCO.com>
writes:
>Doesn't anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Not from me.

>What is it like when the self-machining syndrome takes over and ruins
>a transmission?
>Damien

Its always in effect really. See, heres the deal. The factory, for some
stupid ass reason, stoped installing these little $ 0.30 clips on the
tranny diff pinion shaft. What it does is it machines part of the case
until there is a hole where the tranny fluid leaks out onto the clutch.
Thats usually your firtst clue. Sometimes theres some noise right before
it breaks thru, then the explosive diarea all over the clutch and by
then, you are an expert at the self machining experience.

Some trannies go out after 50,000 miles, some wait til much longer. The
spooky part is you never kbow when its gonna happen.

This machining doesnt ruin the tranny, but it does ruin the front of the
tranny case for you, which is just as expensive as a replacement tranny
and will require a tranny rebuild to replace the case if one goes this
route it so this is a good time to have the clips inatalled AND replace
the rivits on the diff with the bolt kit. Makes for a happy tranny, and
fine piece of mind for the driver. (Both my roc and my GLi have been
selfmachine proofed!)

>...And what happened to Scott F Williams anyway??

He rolled his Honda and I think just got out of the pet hospital or
something like that. Yah, thats it, I dunno. Its that, or hes in "im
bored with this list" lurk mode. :)
Roc On!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and