Re: Strange Starter Behavior

At 10:36 AM 10/13/98 -0700, you wrote:

>    You can do a few tests to determine if its your starter or if its your
>ignition switch.  I had this problem with my 79 to where the starter would
>not even work when I turned the switch.  Wasnt sure if it was the starter
>or the switch.  To test the starter you can simply try using a jumper to
>go between the positive terminal on the battery and terminal 50 (12 gauge
>R/BK wire).  I had to do this sometimes to get the car started  =)  Or,
>you can use a jumper between the two wires behind the ignition switch,
>term 30 (12 gauge Red) and term 50 (12 gauge R/BK).  If you try the jumper
>at the switch and it still doesnt work, check your wiring to and from the
>switch.  If that is okay, do the starter jumper test.  HTH....

Note you can do the starter jump test with a screwdriver. Just use it to
short the two wires Andre mentioned on the back of the starter. This is a
very quick way to test it.

  Also, for those of you who are just having these sluggish starter
symptoms, clean the battery terminals. As it starts to get cold(for those
of you not in SoCal:) ), poor grounds and battery wires, corroded
terminals, and weak batteries really hurt the starting ability on these
cars. And if you haven't upgraded the grounds yet, shame on you!

Brad

- --