RE: Strange Starter Behavior

Ray Dowling wrote:
>My starter has been behaving in a rather odd manner lately.
>When I first got my Scirocco, I couldn't tell for sure, but
>I would often find myself wondering if the starter hesitated
>to engage after the key was turned. Now, I can turn the key and
>hold it in the start position for up to five seconds before
>the engine turns. The battery is fine and this has been going
>on for months. After the wait, the starter even turns at
>normal speed. Rather strange for a failing starter, eh?
>Anyone else experienced this?
>
> Ray  -  '81 Scirocco S

Now, I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like you have a problem with your
solenoid, not the starter. The solenoid, as I understand it, is like a
big honking relay so that all of the current from the battery to the
starter doesnt have to go through the ignition switch. When you turn
your key, it allows current to flow through an electromagnet (coil of
wire), which in turn yanks on a big magnet that then closes the cirquit
for the starter. If there is a broken connection to the solenoid or if
the solenoid is toast, your starter would thus never engage. If the
solenoid works intermittently, as you describe, then when it does
engage, your starter (which is most likely fine) kicks in and starts
your car just fine. So to keep this short story long, I would check all
of your wires going into the solenoid (on my 85, the solenoid sits right
on top of the starter). If that did not yield any results or answers, I
would find out if it was possible to replace just the solenoid, as this
would be cheaper than replacing the starter.

Also, now that I think of it, there is a small diagnostic check. I've
never tried this, so ask someone else as well to make sure this won't
cause any damage. I don't think it will, but just be safe. You could try
to disconnect your starter from the battery, be careful with those wires
though. Then turn the ignition. You should hear a -CLICK-. This is you
solenoid engaging, and if it is engaging strangely, you can be sure this
is your problem. It could be any of the wires that bring the current to
the solenoid, so bring out that voltmeter and get testing.

Hope that helped

Jonas    - 85 Scirocco

- --