Strange Starter Behavior

My starter has been behaving in a rather odd manner lately.
When I first got my Scirocco, I couldn't tell for sure, but
I would often find myself wondering if the starter hesitated
to engage after the key was turned. Now, I can turn the key and
hold it in the start position for up to five seconds before
the engine turns. The battery is fine and this has been going
on for months. After the wait, the starter even turns at
normal speed. Rather strange for a failing starter, eh?
Anyone else experienced this?

 Ray  -  '81 Scirocco S

- --