re: clarify

Joe,

Your note strikes a particularly sensitive nerve with me, and I'm sorry
... but I have to reply (again).

What exactly were you expecting in a mailing list about Scirocco cars?
Look at the profile ... (relatively) inexpensive sports coupe from the
80's that appeals to the younger set who can't live out their sports car
dreams in the Porsche or Ferrari of their choice.  Being a Volkswagen, and
a fairly rare car to begin with, it comes as no surprise that most
Scirocco owners would jump at the chance to "talk" in one common place.

Now for the modifications.  I am not surprised at all that Scirocco owners
will inevitably want to improve their cars. I don't know about you, Joe,
but I have found that my driving abilities have just about hit the limits
of the Scirocco.  Maybe it was the three perforance driving schools (two
of which were from Saab and BMW).  Maybe it is my own desire to be a bit
different than the other Sciroccos on the road.  In my entire life, I have
yet to see a Scirocco that looked anything like my car.

So I turn a few screws the same way some other people do.  So I track
performance improvements carefully.  What, praytell, have you done that
hasn't been done before?  You are driving a Mark I ... 504,200 people
bought Mark I Sciroccos.  You are installing Pirelli tires - not exactly a
new concept in the automotive world.

Bodywork.  What else is there to do?  I can think of about three or four
things ... a body kit, painting, tinting and the antenna.  Therefore, you
are pretty much limited to these four things if you want to express your
"individuality".

Suspension.  Outside of shocks and springs, I can't think of much lese
here for individual expression, with exception to poly bushings and such.

Engine and tranny.  Again - there are things that work, and things that
don't ... and you wil quickly learn which mod falls into which category.
If someone comes up with a surefile way to squeeze 5 more horsepower out
of the engine, you can bet I'll be listening when they talk about it.  I
may not do it, or I may do it differently, but the point is, I'm listening
for the sake of learning, if nothing else.

So where is this magical outlet for completely individual expression?

If you are simply here to belittle our discussions as the antics of
children, I would suggest another mailing list (and another car).  In the
meantime, I would take a trip to the next Volkswagen show, and find out
just how "individual" Volkswagens can be.  I hope you will be pleasantly
surprised to learn that the number of "common" modifications is pretty
low.  I would also suggest you get out and meet some other Scirocco owners
- - who, to your surprise, are not just 16 year olds engaged in a pissing
match of horsepower and top speed.

- -- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - Show me another Jaguar-silver pearl '86 with 7-spoke VW
rims and non-tinted windows

Web Site:  http://www.continuum.org/helms

- --